Cost Per Mile
As a recap, the conclusion I reached in part 2 was that although the fuel sold in winter is cheaper, my car also uses it less efficiently. The question I want to answer in this post is whether or not the cost savings is enough to offset the reduced efficiency. Or, to put it another way, does the reduced price for winter fuel offset the fact that I have to refuel more often?So what I want to get a feel for is the cost per mile in the summer vs. the winter. Plotting the distribution of "amount paid" per "miles driven" over time gives the "cost per mile", which I've shown in the following plot. Note, I've also plotted the market value of a barrel of oil over that same time.
![]() |
| Cost per mile and market price of a barrel of fuel |
So what leads to the fuel being cheaper in the winter and more expensive in the summer? This article provides a couple of ideas which I'll summarize here:
- The summer fuel blend is actually more expensive to produce:
The summer blend uses certain additional fuel additives designed to reduce the amount of smog produced. Production companies also tend to shut down in the early spring for maintenance and to shift over to producing the new fuel blend. - People travel more in summer than they do in winter:
No surprise here. In the summer, kids are out of school and families go on vacation. This causes an increase in demand for fuel, which leads to an increase in price. Supply and demand, baby!
So in the end, the answer seems to be that the winter fuel is more cost-effective. But according to this 1999 study it's also potentially worse for your health and the environment.
Market Impacts on Cost
For the sake of argument, let's say I'm more concerned about the increased economic cost of fuel in the summer than its impact on the environment. Before I go to write my congress to change the EPA regulation, we might notice that the seasonal fluctuations are actually much smaller than the broader, more impactful market fluctuations. Or to visualize it another way, we can "bin" the data points by month. To better visualize "winter" vs. "summer" Tableau can also color the points by financial quarter: Q1 (yellow) and Q4 (green) are winter and Q2 (red) and Q3 (teal) are summer.![]() | |
|
![]() |
| Cost per mile normalized by market price for a barrel of oil |



No comments:
Post a Comment